'Red October' is a show stopper with year round beauty. The foliage emerges in spring with reddish highlights. In summer the foliage is a lush, deep green. Burgundy red flowers bloom in August while the foliage takes on a purple red hue. The first frost brings on the vivid, scarlet red, fall color. Attractive to butterflies, birds and other beneficial insects. Provides cover for at least 24 species of songbirds. Tough and easy to grow.
Andropogon gerardii 'Red October'
Red October Big Bluestem: PP26,283
- All season beauty, vivid red fall color
- Attracts birds and butterflies
- Drought tolerant once established
- Superb for mass planting and erosion control
- Deer resistant, tolerant of black walnut
- Seed heads dry well for cut flower arrangements
Characteristics and Attributes
- Great Foliage
- Low Maintenance
- Fall Color
- Ornamental Grass
- American Beauties Native Plants®
Season of Interest (Foliage):